The #1 Ski Destination in the Eastern United States
Improvements to Wolf - SkiSoutheast.com Messageboard
Old 08-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
skifanatic123
Still a Newb!

Default Improvements to Wolf

http://www.skiwolfridgenc.com/default.htm

Check it out...

I know the overall opinion for Wolf isn't that great (personally I love the place), but at least they're trying to improve the area. Got to hand it to them for trying...

Last edited by skifanatic123; 08-03-2010 at 11:36 AM.
skifanatic123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
loafskier
Beginner to Intermediate Member

from their website:
We have widened the Breakaway Ski through tunnel run on top of the mountain and added two break-out tail runs off of that slope. The reshaping of this run has made it a true Green slope but with an incredible amount of diverse terrain.
2) We added a 2nd ski school and lift at the bottom of the breakaway run.
3) We widened the cross-over trail run that connects the upper lodge ski runs to the main slopes and the lower Ski Lodge. This will allow beginning skier/boarders to travel from the top of the bottom on all Green trails or runs.
4) We are installing another magic carpet and short run at the lower lodge for ski school training.

While this is a good thing because beginners spend more $ at the ski areas - I would really like to see them invest in grooming and fix the night lighting situation. Also it is still not clear if they are gonna run the breakaway area at all on midweek or nights.

The trail that runs from the top of the the quad, they call it the howling is just an unreasonable nightmare due to the wooden walls on both sides and poor grooming.
Finally they need to change up their trail map to reflect reality. I have a feeling that improvement #4 is just replacing the non used surface lift on the lower lodge side with a magic carpet. good move but call it what it is.
I dont think people hate the place, they are just frustrated with the potential of this place as a ski area. Stop being lazy on the grooming, fix the lights, blow snow on all the trails and have the lower lodge food and beverage accept credit cards.
loafskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
hnhbaxter
FLORIDIOT

So, they are going to utilize the cat trail which criss-crosses streak as a beginner trail. Oh, this should be VEEEERY interesting. Do they intend to shut down streak or is this just a great place to sit and watch the carnage? To be fair Wolf lives and dies with the the flow of church groups etc. so catering to them is a good business idea.

Done wearing a wishbone where my backbone should be
hnhbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
skifanatic123
Still a Newb!

Streak isn't really shut down...just shortened considerably so now it's just short and steep. The connector cat trail that crosses Upper Streak is labeled as a green but is very skinny and steep to be considered a green trail at all and this causes a lot of trouble for the inexperienced skier/boarder trying to get down. Hopefully this widening of the trail will help cut down on traffic created there. Though I am not sure if they are talking about that trail or the connector trail that crosses the mountain that connects the Upper Lodge from the rest of the mountain. That trail can be skinny in places and widening it would make things a whole lot easier for beginners on that side. Whether they do one or the other is up in the air, though any improvement for Wolf is a good one. Being a ski instructor over there the addition of the extra teaching area is definately a plus...can't wait for the upcoming season!

Last edited by skifanatic123; 08-03-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
teledave
Benevolent Dictator

The biggest improvement they could make at Wolf would in personnel. And I'm not talking the lifties.
Originally Posted by davidski View Post
Until I can throw a backflip at will I won't call anyone out, except to say -- deal with natural terrain you pussies
teledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
TannerP
Sausage Dancer

If they had records broken for attendance last year could they open their whole mountain this winter? Or did they have 100% last year? I really don't keep up with wolf.
TannerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
dreamnofpow
Super User

^Because of record snowfall they opened the whole mountain this year. There are a couple TRs on here about how once every 5 or 10 years Wolf gets a dump and the place goes off. They do have a rep for not knowing how to make snow and not grooming.
dreamnofpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
2slikstix
Utah Tree Connoisseur

Send a message via MSN to 2slikstix

Anybody else in NC put in a quad and 3 surface lifts this summer?? Anyone?? Bueler??

Glad to see any improvements. Never been to Wolf. Perhaps the Crew should pay a visit one Saturday this season
Old 08-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
Joshua8200
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamnofpow View Post
^Because of record snowfall they opened the whole mountain this year. There are a couple TRs on here about how once every 5 or 10 years Wolf gets a dump and the place goes off. They do have a rep for not knowing how to make snow and not grooming.
Yep. This past season was an anomaly across most of the southeastern US. I would have a hard time recommending Wolf when there is not 'good' natural snowfall.

I was at Wolf the day after one of the bigger snowfalls this past season. It was awesome...no crowds and cheap lift tickets! That being said...I've been there when the snow was about as bad as I've ever seen it in NC.

I would love to be able to have things change at my command, but life doesn't work that way. Wolf definitely offers a little something for the NC skier, but like others have said, it holds much more potential than is being used.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
loafskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slikstix View Post
Anybody else in NC put in a quad and 3 surface lifts this summer?? Anyone?? Bueler??
No area in NC put in a new chairlift, and wolf added 2 magic carpets this summer. The main mtn quad runs sooooo slow that they dont even need lifties to 'bump' chairs as people get on. I've been to wolf 3 times in the last 4 years and the breakaway side has not been open (even mid-winter, it was midweek). they have 100% snowmaking capability, but dont use it. they have night skiing but put in the minimum number of lights to do so. they have grooming machines but dont know how to operate them to create a consistent skiing surface. the place has so much potential but they dont know how to operate. They have the closest highway access of any place in NC. I will give them that they have the lowest elevation so somethings are harder to operate, but they have the equipment in place. If they were not so focused on clear cutting the top of the mtn for condos/houses they could have a real nice place. Rates are cheap, but its that way for a reason. Snow is only good when its snowing or just stopped. trails are nice, varied and different from most in the state.
loafskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
OEC4
Advanced Member

Actually, the base at Wolf is the same elevation as the peak at App.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
killglobalwarmingnow
Advanced Member

It is good to hear of expansions and improvements. (I would love to know how profitable Sugar has been in the last few years and compare that to what isn't reinvested.)

Do all of the trails and lifts that are labeled "future" exist now on Wolf's trail map?

For 15 years skiing in North Carolina I am embarrassed to say I have never experienced the great Wolf. That will change at some point this winter, I guess I'll wait for a nice 'powder' day...

Wolf's website could use a professional refresh.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
skifanatic123
Still a Newb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killglobalwarmingnow View Post
It is good to hear of expansions and improvements. (I would love to know how profitable Sugar has been in the last few years and compare that to what isn't reinvested.)

Do all of the trails and lifts that are labeled "future" exist now on Wolf's trail map?

For 15 years skiing in North Carolina I am embarrassed to say I have never experienced the great Wolf. That will change at some point this winter, I guess I'll wait for a nice 'powder' day...

Wolf's website could use a professional refresh.
No, the "proposed future ski runs" have been in the works for a few years now but construction seems to have stopped at the bottom of the Breakaway lift area. Who knows if it'll actually happen any time soon or not...
Old 08-11-2010, 01:07 AM   #14
saxophoneguy

did you guys see that they also added in a terrain park? It wasn't listed on the improvements on the main page, but it is on the updated map they put up...it looks small, but its still another addition...
saxophoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #15
skifanatic123
Still a Newb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxophoneguy View Post
did you guys see that they also added in a terrain park? It wasn't listed on the improvements on the main page, but it is on the updated map they put up...it looks small, but its still another addition...
The new location of the terrain park is not a new addition, they just moved the location of it to the main mountain from where it was originally on the Breakaway side. This was the case last year but the result was disappointing. It's location is pretty much on the left side of Broadway right below where Eagle spills out. It is real small as you mentioned yet its condition is rough...sometimes a sketchy rail or two though that's pretty much it unfortunately. Not nearly as good as it was when it first opened on the Breakaway side. Though hopefully this year will be different...I would love to see Wolf's terrain park back up and running but the space that they have is so small that you can't even put a reasonably sized jump in it. Oh well...