The #1 Ski Destination in the Eastern United States
Boat opinions? - SkiSoutheast.com Messageboard
Old 07-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
jbc28
Motos & Photos

Default Boat opinions?

I am thinking about buying a wakeboard boat this winter. I will be looking for something 1-3 yrs old. I definitely want pump filled ballast (at least 2 chambers) and enough motor to pull strong with a large crew on board. I am thinking about a Moomba or a Malibu. For those that are familiar with this type of boat, what should I look for and look out for?
jbc28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
SKISC
"another"

Send a message via MSN to SKISC

I have had a few Correct Crafts and I think you will be happy with either of the two you mentioned. I would get at least a 350 engine. Our Ski Nautiqur had a 359 and the Barefoot Nautique had a 454. Fastsk8er or Skimastercraft can probably help more than me but I would definitely look a engine size when making the decision.
SKISC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:40 PM   #3
SkiCop
SkiNC Patroller

I did a little research on this last year when the fever hit and I found out that Moomba is the best bang for the buck on the market. It's probably not as good as a Nautique or Mastercraft, but it costs a whole lot less too. they all have the same engine options, so you should be able to find what you're looking for in any of them. I know they have a 310 hp small block and I'd think that'd be enough to do anything.
SkiCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:48 PM   #4
jbc28
Motos & Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiCop
I did a little research on this last year when the fever hit and I found out that Moomba is the best bang for the buck on the market. It's probably not as good as a Nautique or Mastercraft, but it costs a whole lot less too. they all have the same engine options, so you should be able to find what you're looking for in any of them. I know they have a 310 hp small block and I'd think that'd be enough to do anything.
Thanks...I would like to have a G'ed out Mastercraft, but I am not spending 70-80k on something that will be used about 1/3rd of the year. Did you find any good dealers in our area?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
SkiCop
SkiNC Patroller

There's a Moomba dealer on Smith Lake. The link to their website is on Moomba's dealer list.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:53 PM   #6
SkiCop
SkiNC Patroller

Any of you skiers have any experience with the V-drive boats?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
g8erhater
Super User

[quote="jbc28"]
Quote:
I would like to have a G'ed out Mastercraft, but I am not spending 70-80k on something that will be used about 1/3rd of the year.
70-80k!? Wow. That sure seems like a helluva lot of money to spend on a boat to me too.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:25 AM   #8
jbc28
Motos & Photos

Quote:
Any of you skiers have any experience with the V-drive boats?
I am worried about hitting a log or something and warping the output sh aft. The Coosa River has a lot of floaters especially after a hard rain.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:28 AM   #9
SkiCop
SkiNC Patroller

I could make a comment on floaters......

If it makes you feel any better, you'd most likely rip the fins out from under the front of the boat before you bent the shaft.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:33 AM   #10
jbc28
Motos & Photos

Yep...there are many types of floaters in the Coosa. I have been going up to Weiss Lake lately. I like it better. Parts of it are really clean.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:15 AM   #11
fastsk8r

I am pretty active on the scene here regarding ski boats and such. I was recently doing a land demo at a boat show here and was ROFLMAO at the ungodly prices being asked for V-drive wakeboarding boats. They are obviously VERY proud of their equipment!

I can give you my thoughts and opinions, but keep in mind these are MY thoughts and opinions and may differ from yours.

V-drive vs Direct Drive: A V-drive will generally provide a better wake than a direct drive because the motor is moved to the back of the boat. It puts more weight over the prop, pushing the back down and creating a more defined curl. This is great for wakeboarders, not so great for skiers. If you buy a V-drive, it usually is not a cross-over boat. Your wakeboarders will love you, everyone else will think you have a personal vendetta against them. There are some V-drives that are skiable, but not very many

A Direct Drive puts the engine more towards the middle, generally producing a flatter wake due to the more even weight distribution. As the boat picks up speed, usually a Direct Drive will flatten further as the bow drops closer to the water. A Direct Drive usually makes a great ski boat, but has to be modified to produce a high quality wakeboard wake. Most cross-over boats are Direct Drive.

Brand Loyalty: Some folks are dedicated to a specific boat brand. If that is your forte, be my guest. I can tell you from a servicing standpoint that the expensive brands in most cases break just as much as the cheap brands. In used boats it all hinges on how good care has been taken of the boat in question. The motors are usually standard. In most cases you will see Indmar and PCM (Pleasurecraft Marine) motors in ski boats, even the cheap ones.

Usually the more you pay for a boat, the more frills you get. But keep in mind that as the frills go up, so does the number of things that can go wrong. If you plan to work on a boat yourself, less frills would probably be a good thing.

Used Boats: First let me warn you about used Moombas. The new Moomba Outbacks are awesome boats, I know, I own one. But the old ones had only a single tracking fin which would not keep the boat straight under hard pulls. A good wakeboarder or shortline slalom skier could easily pull them off course.

Now that said, you need to look carefully at used ski boats. Take a good look at how well it was taken care of. If the hidden areas of the boat are messy and nasty, they did a quick clean-up job on a poorly maintained boat. If you can acquire maintenance records, that is great. How often did they change the impeller? How often did they change the oil? Is there any water in the transmission? Any oil in the bilge? All of these can tell you volumes about the boat.

I have heard it said that a boat is a hole you throw money into. Well, that is only the case if the boat sits without use. If you use it constantly, take care of it once off the lake and maintain it, it will perform quite reliably. If not, you will be dissatisfied with your purchase.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:54 AM   #12
Ga tom

Been a long, long tiime since I looked. Make sure if you borrow it's from a bank simple interest with no prepayment penalty. Securing the loan with you're house will cut the effective interest rate a couple of points. DO NOT dealer-finance.

To my memory top notch ski boats don't depreciate much, much slower than cars and generally the bank will go longer.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:32 AM   #13
Murphy
Beginner to Intermediate Member

I don't know a thing about ski boats but I saw a pretty sweet one down on Smith Mountain Lake this weekend. Brand new (still had paper plates on the trailer) jet black MasterCraft. Barely fit in its boat slip, must have been well over 25' long. It had a pretty cool looking hull design that almost looked like a catamaran on the front end (twin nose). Fancy aluminum tube rack for all the boards. I could easily believe it was $70-80K. The trailer alone looked like it was several thousand.

Bunch of kids driving it too. :?
Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #14
TNKen
Advanced Member

Check out www.boattraderonline.com and see what you can find.

Here's my dream boat, loan me about $300k

http://www.donzimarine.com/DonziWebs...ZFC/38ZFC.html
TNKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:52 AM   #15
teledave
Benevolent Dictator

Moomba boats are the biggest pieces of crap out on the market. I was on an audit at their factory and you wouldn't believe the total lack of quality control they have and the lawsuits that had been filed by disgruntled customers. Whatever you do don't buy one of those pieces of junk.
Originally Posted by davidski View Post
Until I can throw a backflip at will I won't call anyone out, except to say -- deal with natural terrain you pussies
teledave is offline   Reply With Quote